Event Registration FAQs
How do I know if we really need to register our event?
- Refer back to our five main points. If you still are not completely sure, please reach out to our office! We will be happy to have a conversation about what should/should not be registered.
If my organization is hosting a co-sponsored event (e.g. Swaps, collaborative social/philanthropic events, etc.) do both groups need to submit an event registration?
- No. When filling out the event registration submission via the calendar feature of Forum, the RSO completing the submission can list other RSOs who are also sponsoring the event.
- For more information about how to co-sponsor an event within the Forum, check out this link.
Our 15-business day deadline is coming up soon, and we don’t have a space booked. Can I still submit an application?
- Yes! If you do not have a space booked, verified, or confirmed but have an idea of where you would like your event to be hosted, submit the event registration submission with that information.
Why do I need to complete a UPD Consultation?
- RSOs must meet with University Police for numerous reasons. Namely, if your event has potential to have significant high-risk elements, a UPD security consultation will be required. UPD address specific areas of concern and will allow you to ask questions about how to ensure your event is both safe & successful.
What do you mean by ‘Amplified Sound,’ and how does it get approved?
- Note, the University’s Amplified Sound policy is designed to monitor and regulate amplified sound outdoors on-campus only.
- Amplified sound is considered any sound created or enhanced by the use of
sound-amplifying equipment. It is important to remember that, while we work diligently to support successful student events, the academic mission of the University comes first. With approval from the Ole Miss Student Union, amplified sound is permitted on-campus on the following dates & times:
- Fridays from 5:00 PM until 11:59 PM
- Saturdays from 12:00 PM until 11:59 PM
- Sundays from 2:00 PM until 9:00 PM
- Decibel levels for amplified sound shall not exceed 80 dB from thirty (30) feet from the sound source. Requests to exceed this decibel level must be submitted to the Ole Miss Student Union office five (5) days prior to the event or activity for approval.
Wait – The Pavilion Presents/Union Unplugged series is on Tuesdays & Thursdays. How does that work in regards to Amplified Sound?
- The Pavilion Presents/Union Unplugged series happens weekly under special circumstances granted by the Office of the Student Union and the Student Activities Association. Groups wanting to participate in the series can email SAA@olemiss.edu to coordinate. These events are registered by SAA and not the individual participating organization.
My RSO wants to host a race/walk/5k. How do I make that happen?
- Coordinating any sort of race/walk is going to be complicated. But it is doable!
- First, you will need to submit an event registration submission.
- Many RSOs will want to start their race/walk in the Grove, so you will need to book the Grove & Grove Stage through the Office of the Student Union.
- You will need to meet with UPD to plan out a route as well as with Parking & Transportation to coordinate alternate routes for the OUT Busses.
- Depending on what the event will look like, you will also be asked to connect with Landscape Services and Facilities Management.
- Because coordinating an event like this is complex, it is highly recommended that you begin by submitting your event registration submission a full month in advance prior to the event taking place.
What are the possible routes for walks/races/parades across campus?
- There are four possible routes your organization can utilize to ensure the safety of our community, the following routes are available for walks and runs. These routes take into consideration the time of day and week, traffic concerns, and construction around campus.
- Weekend 5K Run/Walk Route
- Weekday Short Run/Walk Route
- Long Walk Route
- Short Walk Route
Something has come up, and we will need to change the date of our event – can we do that without any penalties?
- Absolutely. OLA is happy to work with your RSO to find a new date that works for both you and our campus partners. For a “pending” event registration submission, simply comment on the submission requesting a date change. OLA will then “deny” the event registration submission so that you can made any edits to the original submission.
- If you want to cancel the event after the event has been “approved,” simply “manage the event” and click “cancel.” OLA will make note of cancelled events with appropriate University departments.
What do the various “visibility” options mean?
- Public: Visible to anyone in the world
- Institution: Visible only to those logged into the Forum with a web ID & password
- Organization: Visible only to the members of the RSO (as indicated via the RSO’s Forum roster)
- Invitation only: Visible only to those who were specifically and individually invited to the event
How can we track event attendance?
- First, you will need to have the proper equipment to scan student id cards – Magnetic Card Swipe Readers. Please find this webpage and to access information on purchasing Magnetic Card Swipe Readers.
- Second, you will need to manage “tracking event participation.” For step by step instructions on how to do so, click here.